Anxiety has become so prevalent leading to millions of people so afflicted that they are diagnosable with a disorder. We know that God’s Word is a light of hope, but what does it have to say about mental health and specifically anxiety, other than the poorly quoted “give up anxiety?” Amanda Porter, PhD has combined Scripture through a devotional on this top to give a 40 day guide for those who struggle to start their morning right in her book Dear Anxiety, Let’s Break Up.
I’ve talked many times before about mindfulness that is not only a therapeutic technique we use in counseling, but something that can be integrated with Christian principles and this book does so also. Amanda brings experience to this topic as a nurse practitioner, specializing in Integrative Mental Health, board-certified in internal medicine, psychiatry/mental health, and addictions.
Topics this devotional covers include:
- understand the Bible’s message on mental health,
- develop actionable, scientific-based coping skills,
- reverse the cycle of negative thinking,
- free themselves from shame, guilt, and harmful stigmas, and
- learn to support loved ones who also struggle with anxiety.
We give the book a 4.5 out of 5 for you to add to your morning read.
Leave a Reply